Company: Hy-Vee, Inc.
Posted on: January 27, 2023
At Hy-Vee our people are our strength. We promise "a helpful
smile in every aisle" and those smiles can only come from a
workforce that is fully engaged and committed to supporting our
customers and each other.
Job Title: Second Service Manager
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Monitors
and maintains the sales floor operations and the technology
necessary to do so. Successfully handles customer/employee
- Growth mindset
- Results oriented
- Customer focused
Accountable and Reports to: District Store Director, Store Manager,
Assistant Managers of; Store Operations, Perishables, and Health
Positions that Report to you: All positions except those listed
above and department heads.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a positive attitude; creates an atmosphere of
friendliness and fun through flexibility and teamwork.
- Generates a friendly atmosphere by encouraging employees to
greet and speak to customers; providing prompt, courteous, and
efficient service to customers and sets a good example.
- Monitors and maintains the sales floor operations and the
technology necessary for the successful handling of customers.
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by
exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer
interactions and treating customers as the most important people in
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the
encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or
elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them
by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- Escorting them to the products they are looking for.
- Securing products that are out of reach.
- Loading or unloading heavy items.
- Making note of and passing along customer suggestions or
- Performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful
service to customers who call.
- Trains employees in store policies, department procedures, and
- Ensures proper customer service throughout the store and
addresses specific customer issues.
- Exercises and ensures cleanliness, sanitation, maintenance of
equipment, and appearance of the entire store and property.
- Learns to formulate pricing philosophies or merchandising
following guidelines established by the Store Manager.
- Orders merchandise (new product, promotional, seasonal, or to
replenish merchandise on hand), verifies delivery of merchandise,
ensures quality, compares record with merchandise ordered, and
- Recruits and interviews job applicants to recommend or
- Ensures compliance of employees with established policy/law,
security, sales, and record keeping procedures and practices.
- Approves checks written for cash or payment of merchandise
- Coordinates backroom facilities and equipment; recommends
changes in allocation of space.
- Distributes money to cash registers as needed; responsible for
cash accountability of cash registers and safe.
- Inspects merchandise to ensure it is correctly priced and
displayed; corrects mispriced items in the computer.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines
related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Determines the motivational needs of employees and provides the
- Suggests improvements in work methods and procedures by
observing and listening to employees/customers.
- Prepares sketches or floor plans of proposed displays.
- Develops layout, selects theme, colors, and props, and
- Oversees and participates in construction of displays.
- Participates in continuing education through reviewing articles
in trade publications.
- Recommends cost reduction programs.
- Makes corrections, additions or deletions to employee's
- Sells merchandise to company employees, customers or issues
merchandise upon requisition by authorized personnel (inter-store
- Handles cash registers.
- Resets new and current items in aisles.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as
- Instructing, assigning work, reviewing work, planning the work
of others, maintaining standards, allocating personnel, and
coordinating the activities of others.
- Selects new employees and acts on employee problems.
- Has the authority to recommend and approve employee transfers,
promotions, discipline, discharge, and salary adjustments.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of
variables with limited standardization; interpret
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions,
decimals, and percentages.
- Possess the ability to interview to obtain basic information;
guide people to provide basic direction; follow technical manuals
and have increased contact with people.
Education and Experience
High school or 1 year of similar or related work experience.
- Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to
50 pounds of force occasionally and 20 pounds of force frequently,
and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to
more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception,
color vision, and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities:
Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing,
walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and
This position is exposed to dust, noise, and temperature extremes.
There are possible equipment movement hazards; electrical shock,
and exposure to chemicals and solvents. This is a fast paced work
Equipment Used to Perform Job
Pallet jack, box cutter, cash registers, knives, trash compactor,
cardboard baler, fork lift, computer, calculator, telephone, copy
and fax machine, two wheeler, register computer, delivery
Has daily contact with customers, fellow employees,
suppliers/vendors, and the general public. Occasional contact with
federal or state regulatory agencies regarding inspections.
Has access to confidential information which may include pricing,
sales reports, and profit and loss reports.
Are you ready to smile, apply today.
Keywords: Hy-Vee, Inc., Independence , Service Manager, Executive , Chillicothe, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!